C Major Scale
- always start your practice with this scale, and remember to play the C major chord (at the end of the line) as well
- practice scale with a metronome beat of 60 (or slower if you find that to be too fast)
A Simple Dialogue
- practice the rest of the piece line by line.
- once you get each line perfectly, work on transitions between lines.
- remember to play the Re note with your 4th finger
- your goal is to be able to play the whole piece through smoothly by the next lesson.
- first focus on getting the rhythm right in the first measure. Try counting out loud while you play.
- once you master the rhythm (remember to always alternate your right hand fingers), try moving on one measure at a time.
- goal is to be able to play the whole first line. If you want to move on beyond the first line, go for it!
- today’s record was 26 seconds. Next goal is to get it under 25 seconds, and then under 25 seconds without looking at your fingers at all.
Mel Bay Book
- try reading through Buffalo Gals. Work on the first two lines first, then the next two lines if you have time.
- always, always, before you play, check your right hand and left hand positions.
- left hand thumb is always behind the neck and not sticking out, and remember to the finger test with your left hand.
- try to always keep your right hand over the outside part of the sound hole, and don’t let it start dragging towards the bridge.